Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sci-Fi Books We Love: Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games

Alas the blog I've been waiting for: The Hunger Games. If I have talked to you at all in the past year I'm sure I've mentioned this book series to you. Its like you can't quit "paying it forward" with this book. My sister recommended it to me and at first I refused thinking "oh no, it's not my kind of book". FALSE. It is the type of book for ANYONE who enjoys using their eyes!

Even if you think "I'm too smart", "too old", "too out of touch", or "too cool" for these books... YOU ARE WRONG. They are not for "Harry Potter" lovers or for "Twilight" lovers. In fact these books stand alone and create a VERY unique and exciting adventure!

Book I: The Hunger Games
Basically the United States no longer exists. What used to be known as North America has been separated into thirteen districts and "The Capital" also known as Panem. The Capital is located near California and the districts follow after that with District 12 being in Appalachia. Seventy-four year prior to the books beginnings District 13 led a rebellion with all the districts against The Capital. In response The Capital wipes District 13 off the map. "As a reminder to the rebels" of their previous disloyalty, each year The Capital takes two tributes from each district, one boy, one girl, ages twelve to eighteen, to compete in something known as "The Hunger Games". The Hunger Games are a fight to the death, but not in a gladitorial sense. It is a fight for survival. "The Games" take place in what is described as a vast arena, ANYTHING can be in the arena, it may be a jungle, a desert, a forest, or something entirely different. The last one alive, "wins". This seems like a simple enough plot, but there is SO much more to it! Before the games start the people of the Capital "get to know" their tributes through interviews and training scores. If the crowd likes you, you might be able to get help in the arena. For instance if you are injured and need medicine, "sponsors" can send in the appropriate medicine to try and ensure your survival. Secondly, for people to know what you need in the arena, they have to be watching you. Which leads to what I find to be almost the most horrifying of all. The Hunger Games are televised LIVE and all of Panem is REQUIRED to watch and to show The Capital's sick mind, the people of the Districts are likewise forced to celebrate the Hunger Games. This story follows Katniss Everdeen as she steps into the arena, leaves her lifelong friend Gale Hawthorne behind, and steps toward her District male equivalent, Peeta Mellark.

Book II: Catching Fire
I can't give too much about this book away in the summary so I will simply state a few words. This book follows what happens after the Seventy-Fourth Hunger Games, in fact it is what they call the Quarter Quell as it is the Seventy-Fifth Hunger Games. In the first Quell the Districts voted on which of the children of their district to send into the arena (i.e. almost certain death), in the second Quell four children were taken from each district instead of the usual two, and you will be amazed when you find out what The Capital has cooked up for this Quell.
This is my favorite book of the Hunger Games trilogy. I asked any of my friends who read it it to text me when they had an "OMG AAAAH" moment, I think I got at least 5 from each person.

Book III: Mockingjay
I literally don't think there is anything I can say about this book without giving the first two away. So all I will say is... this book will leave you feeling as one of my friends described "happy, sad, empty, mad, I don't know what I feel right now". Ally Carter (author of the Gallagher Girl books and Heist Society) described the sensation as #Mockingjaycoma which is ENTIRELY understandable. After reading this book you are emotionally drained. Some see this as a negative, I however STRONGLY believe it to be a good thing. I love that a book can make me FEEL as much as Mockingjay (and all the Hunger Games books) did.

Why I LOVE that kids are reading it:

This book takes a look at what happens when people look only for "Panem et Circenses" or "Bread and Circuses" in their lives. Its the idea that everything is a game if you want it to be or if it benefits you. It makes you take a good hard look at the value of a human life and what the price of freedom means. I love that kids as young as ten and eleven years old are falling in love with these books! I think it shows the desire of students to care for something real!

Thats all for now!

Signing off,

Reader Girl







No comments:

Post a Comment