Friday, July 22, 2011

Books of Summer: Jessi Kirby's Moonglass

So when it comes to reading new books I often feel a certain skepticism. "Is this book really worth the 12-15$ I'll spend on it? Do I really even trust the reviewers?" However nothing gets me to read a book like a recommendation from an author I love.

In this case, Sarah Dessen. Sarah Dessen is on the quoted as saying "I couldn't put this book down. Kirby's voice is fresh and wise, all at once. An incredible first novel." The last book I read she said she loved was The Summer I turned Pretty and after reading my previous blog you know how much I loved that book! So again upon Ms. Dessen's recommendation I read it and yet again I was NOT disappointed.

Moonglass
Moonglass follows Anna as she and her father relocate to the beach town where her mother and father met many years ago. Her father manages the lifeguard company on the beach and Anna is strictly warned to stay away from the "lifeguarding staff" and the lifeguards are likewise warned to stay away from her. She meets a lifeguard named Tyler and it seems that she won't be able to follow the guideline her father set before her.
More than the lifeguards there are many townies who have a lot to teach her about her mother and father and the times they spent living along this beach. Her mother's past is what interests and scares her most of all, and its the mystery she is most interested in solving.
As with most YA fiction I find myself always longing to understand the relationship between the boy and girl. In this book Anna and Tyler don't disappoint. Tyler is kind and witty. He and Anna have a banter that makes you find them even more endearing.

Great book that you don't want to put down.
You can't wait to find out about Anna's
past right along with her!

That's all for now!
Signing off,

Reader Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment