Thursday, July 21, 2011

Books of Summer: Jenny Han

I've read a lot of books. Some books when I go to the store initially deter me. Mostly because I'm 23 years old and there are some books that when someone asks me "What are you reading?" I'm embarrassed to say the name.

"The Summer I Turned Pretty" started out as one of those. However very quickly my mind was changed and I couldn't put down this trilogy of summers. Moreover I had no problem recommending them to my friends!

The Summer I Turned Pretty
Welcome to Cousins beach and the beach house of Susannah Fisher and her two sons Conrad and Jeremiah. Every summer they invite down Susannah's best friend from childhood Laurel Conklin and her two kids, Stephen and Belly (Isabel). Belly has been in love with Conrad for as long as she or any one else can remember. Belly has spent her life as a fourth wheel to the boys fun and sometimes finds herself not included at all. She is the youngest of them all. Conrad is older than Belly by about 2 years. So until she comes to Cousins the summer she turns 16, she has just been little goofy Belly. However, the summer she turns pretty, the Fisher boys start to look at her a little differently in a way that confuses both of them. That coupled with a lot of secrets in the house causes a summer none of them would forget.
I loved this book! I couldn't put it down and was thrilled to find there was another on out! This book is the summer you always swore you'd have and lets face it probably never did. Jeremiah is cause for a lot of hilarity in this book and he will make you smile probably more than just about anyone. Once you get passed that Belly's name is in fact, Belly... the book charms you into its fictional world.

It's Not Summer Without You
Welcome back to Cousins for yet another unforgettable summer. This book takes place the following summer and a lot has changed. Without giving anything away I'll try and summarize this book for you. This book takes a look at what happens after Belly becomes seen as something more than just Laurel's little girl. What I loved about this book is that while most of the book is written from Belly's perspective there are chapters written from the perspective of the ever lovable Jeremiah. Jeremiah has a self deprecating humor that you can't help but find endearing. Jeremiah is getting ready for college, Conrad is finishing his first year, and Belly is entering her senior year certain that nothing will ever be the same again. Follow them on adventure to sort out exactly what has happened in the past year and what it means for their future.

We'll Always Have Summer
Oh this book... It was EVERYTHING I could have wished it would be. It takes place two years after "Its Not Summer Without You" and it seems as though EVERYTHING has changed. Because this book is the latest installment I refuse to be the one that tells you how it ends. BUT just so you know. Jeremiah finally gets his shot outside of Conrad's shadow. And Conrad has a moment... where he says EVERYTHING you've been waiting for him to say for the past two books. The ball is in Belly's court. Who will she pick? Will she pick either of them? How will it end? I can't tell you but I can say... You will NOT be disappointed.


I spend a lot of time with middle school aged kids and EVERY one of them who has read these books ADORED them. If you have a daughter/friend who enjoys reading... get them this book! I would say starting age is about 12.

Kudos to Jenny Han. You wrapped up this series wonderfully and I can't wait to see what you tackle next!

That's all for now!

Signing off,

Reader Girl





No comments:

Post a Comment